Tuesday, June 17, 2014






It Happened Here --Road Trip to Northern Washington Co.



As I mentioned about a week and a half ago,  I was planning to take the summer off from regular weekly posts to read and reflect and take some road trips to snap more pictures of NYSHMs for future posts.  I mentioned I might, from time to time post some of my discoveries and then on September 1st return to regular weekly posts.

I just returned from a road trip to northern Washington County.  As usual, there were many NYSHMs that were missing, or that I was unable to find. I was particularly disappointed in being unable to locate one in Ash Grove, east of Cambridge. According to the State Ed. list it said --
SITE OF
ASH GROVE CEMETERY
AND
2D M.E. CHURCH
IN U.S. ORGANIZED 1770 BY
IRISH METHODISTS UNDER THOMAS
ASHTON AND PHILIP EMBURY
Location: ON TN. RD. AT ASH GROVE


I caught a glimpse of a very old cemetery along a narrow driveway festooned with signs that said "keep out" "no trespassing" "police take notice".  I decided not to tarry.

And there were some NYSHMs, where the subject was missing. 

 I hope the "Early British Cannon" are on display in some museum, or at least in safe storage. They obviously aren't in the stone cribs now filled with yellow marigolds outside the Whitehall Armory!
(Rt. 4, Whitehall)







 I saw some handsome buildings that were old, but I am not sure why they are historically significant. (Rt 40,  Hartford)






 












I saw a cemetery with graves of about one hundred revolutionary war veterans in it. (Salem)






                         I saw Sasquatch, (Public park, Whitehall)


















 and, a colonial blockhouse restoration with an automated   teller machine, and a night depository. (It's a bank--Rt. 4,      Ft. Ann)









I saw a tin roofed shed, protected by chicken wire, containing the bones of, arguably, the most important ship in the War of 1812--that includes the U.S.S. Constitution. (I'll explain in the fall.)




And I discovered the site of a colonial home that
featured "slave pens" to contain black bondsmen on a farm, in the early days, before slavery was abolished in New York.

In a few weeks I will be traveling to the Finger Lakes region.  I am looking forward to getting many pictures of NYSHMs in that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment